If you’ve been following along on Instagram @adventures.with.sandy you’d know that we’ve been in Indonesia for over 6 weeks now. We’ve chosen Bali as a place to live because it’s super cheap and it’s also an excuse to eat out 3-4 times a day…so we’ve had our fair share of Indonesian food already!
Here’s a list of 10 vegetarian dishes you must try when in Indonesia…
1. Mi Goreng (Noodles with Vegetables & Egg)
2. Bifun Goreng (Rice Noodles with Vegetables & Egg)
3. Nasi Goreng (Rice with Vegetables & Egg)
4. Nasi Goreng Lotus (Rice with Vegetables & Egg cooked in a Lotus Leaf)
The Lotus Leaf that the rice is cooked in really does affect the overall taste of the meal.
5. Tempe Goreng (Indonesian Tofu)
Tempe tofu is much tastier than ‘normal’ tofu!
Looking for an affordable place to stay in Bali? Get $70 off your first AirBnB stay using this link.
6. Gado Gado (Green Vegetables with Tempe & Peanut Sauce)
7. Tempe Sayur (Green Vegetables with Tempe & Soy Sauce)
Tempe Sayur can be very salty alone so is usually eaten with rice as well.
8. Tempe Curry (Tempe with Vegetables & Curry Sauce)
9. Balinese Satay (Vegetable Skewers with Satay Sauce)
Balinese Satay is usually made with chicken but you can ask for a vegetarian version.
10. CapCay Soup (Vegetable Soup with Indonesian Spices)
Besides these Indonesian dishes be sure to try Balinese Pancakes or Banana Toasties for breakfast, our hosts in Ubud made the best!
Also, don’t forget to try the many exotic fruits in Indonesia during your stay, they’re delicious.
If you’re heading to either Ubud or Canggu then be sure to head to our ‘Best restaurants in Ubud‘ and ‘Our guide to restaurants & cafes in Canggu‘ posts for personal favourites.
So next time you travel to Indonesia I hope you enjoy experiencing local cuisine and try all of these Indonesian dishes. Happy travels!
What’s your favourite Indonesian dish? Have you tried any of these before? Leave us a comment below…